An advantage of downloading the Bible App to the Android device is having access to a Bible translation when offline (no internet connection). In preparation to download a Bible translation:
- Create a YouVersion account See information here
- Be signed in to the app on the mobile device, and
- Have a strong phone signal or WiFi connection
- In some cases, publishers may request access to the email address associated with the account in order for the version to be downloaded
Download Offline Translation
- Select the READ (book) icon
- Select the version short code (e.g. KJV) to the right of the book and chapter
- Scroll through the list to find the preferred version
- Select DOWNLOAD (Not all versions that have this available)
Access Offline Translation
Access the version once while online before using offline.
Activating Airplane Mode will allow version to be read without using data. Calls, text, and data cannot be accessed while in Airplane Mode.
Delete Offline Translation
Sometimes it is necessary to delete a downloaded translation from the device in order to diagnose or fix a problem, or to free up space on your device.
- Select More (three lines) button
- Scroll down and select Settings
- Scroll down and select Manage Offline Versions
- Select the drop down beside EXTERNAL or INTERNAL depending on memory storage location (you can also change storage location)
- Select DELETE
- Select DELETE to confirm
Not all Bibles are available for download.
Available versions will have DOWNLOAD to the right of the translation name.
Once the version is downloaded, a Checkbox icon with a check mark will replace the DOWNLOAD.
Downloading a version only downloads the TEXT of the Bible for use offline (audio is not available for offline use).
Each downloaded Bible takes less than 0.2 GB of storage on your device.Uninstalling the app from your device will delete all related files, including downloaded versions. However, updating the app via the app store should not affect downloaded versions.
Some versions, including NASB, AMP, and NLT were available for download for a short while in previous years. If deleted, they will not be able to be recovered. They are no longer available for download or transfer from any source.